How can I make a rental property feel like my own?
Mon 13 July 2020
It’s often assumed that renting a property stops you from making a house a home. However, this isn’t the case, there are many ways that you can put your own stamp on a rental property without the need to rip up carpets or even open a tin of paint.
Below are a few quick and easy suggestions on how to make your rental house feel like a home:
- Check! - Always ask your landlord or management agent before you begin to transform your rental property into a sanctuary. It is always advisable to check with your landlord to discuss whether you are able to make any cosmetic changes.
- Make use of lighting - there are clever ways to utilise light to not only make a place feel more spacious but also to create a mood or tone in your home. Strategic placement of mirrors can bounce light around a room and lamps can provide an alternative to a standard ceiling light softening the light within a room.
- Accessorise - Although you may be unable to replace carpets or paint walls, this doesn’t mean that you are unable to put your own stamp on a property. Magnolia walls, although they provide a blank canvas they can feel impersonal. Using accessories and furnishings will inject personality to a rental home and adding statement rugs, throws and cushions can be good ways of adding colour to your rooms.
- Don’t just focus on making the inside of the property your own - you can also utilise the outdoor space using garden furniture, pots and plants to add colour and style to your garden or balcony. If you don’t have access to an outside space, houseplants are a good way of bringing the outside in.
- Use your home to display things that you love - photographs of family and friends, bookshelves, prints and ornaments all help to add your personality to a rental property.
If you are thinking of renting and would like to know more about the properties we currently have to let, please contact your local Stags office or view all our available properties here