21/22 Southernhay West
View office details
Direct Dial: 01392 439046
Mobile Phone: 07970958408
Alex Rew is a Fellow of both the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS) and the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers (FAAV). He is also an accredited Expert Witness and specialises in the valuation of residential property, farms, smallholdings and land throughout the West Country but also deals in more general rural professional matters (farm lettings, tenancies, compensation matters) and farm agency.
He has worked for Stags since 1995 following qualification as a rural surveyor with Carter Jonas and a 2:1 Honours Degree in Land Management from Reading University. Alex started his career in Estate Management and then ran an estate agency office before setting up Stags Farm Agency department in 2002. He became a Partner of the firm in 2006 and Managing Partner in 2016. This breadth of knowledge and experience has enabled him to make, and save, clients sizeable amounts of money.
Alex grew up on a dairy farm near Cullompton and while a schoolboy at Blundells in Tiverton, he played a wide range of ball sports, including rugby, cricket and fives. He is the Old Blundellians Fives captain and still manages to hold onto a national ranking (just!) He participated in the 2012 Stags Grand Cycle charity ride raising over £16,000 for charity and, partly due to ‘dodgy knees’ has continued cycling since with plentiful local excursions and a trip to the Alps most years.
Recent examples of work
- Appointed Joint Sole Valuation Expert in the proprietary estoppel case Habberfield vs. Habberfield 2018
- Valuated for individuals in care homes including undivided share interest valuations under Care Act 2014
- Regularly appointed as Sole or Joint Valuation Expert in matrimonial cases
- Acted between parties in several large farming family partnership dissolutions
- Probate valuations for residential property and larger, more complex, property holdings including joint ownerships, undivided shares, tenancies, planning permissions or potential and eligibility for Agricultural Property Relief (APR)
- SIPP, Charities Act, CGT (Capital Gains Tax), secured lending valuations
- Managed the marketing and letting of complete dairy farm and large arable holding under 10-year FBT (Farm Business Tenancy) arrangement
- Just thought I'd let you know that I had a letter this morning from HMRC to say that they are happy with all the reliefs claimed and that there is no inheritance tax due which is a relief in itself! I just wanted to say thank you for your help, it was a pleasure dealing with you and I'm sure our paths will cross in the near future. Mr J P, April 2015
- We could not have achieved the finished results without your patience, resilience and professionalism. Please pass on our thanks to Andrew Dodds and Chris Clapham. We have enjoyed working with you all. Mr J and Mrs F, July 2017